Finally, I have ‘finished’ my book made from cabinet cards. I began it in a class with Nina Bagely at the Art Retreat in Melbourne in May. (it has taken nearly 4 weeks of working on it a little bit at a time) I suspect this will be one of those books that I will be adding to forever as I find little treasures along the way. There are 20 openings, each with a vintage cabinet card on the face page. I used the covers and the spine of the old book whose cover was decorated in Art Nouveau styling….(my fav. design period) The spine of the book was too gorgeous not to use; so I made it into a kind of a ‘wrap around binding’ using a heart necklace (because matters of the heart need to be unlocked). Each page has a story that are expressions or dilemmas of the heart. The slide show is the pages in sequential order, the other pics are snapshots of detail. If you think about it, you might find your own heart here somewhere.
1.Binder of Hearts – Rev Brown has bound many hearts together in the Abbey where he serves God
2. Cherished Heart – Our war hero has a heart cherished by his whole town.
3. Childhood SweetHearts – their love endured the test of time.
4.Collector of Hearts – like all ‘princesses’ she is loved everywhere she goes
5. Deluded Hearts – their love affair begain with 2 tickets & an Exquisite Illusion of love.
6. Detachable Heart – Her heart had been pinned on by Nanny
8. HearTea – Tea was her true love
9. Heart Trader – loose attachements
10. Hearts torn by Indecision – they didn’t know which family tradition to follow
11. Misdirected Hearts – many men go fishing all of their lives, not knowing that it is not really fish that they are after.
12. Mystified Heart – she travelled the world looking for love in all the wrong places
13.Observant Heart – she looked for love from her front room window
14. Rusted Heart – her heart rusted as she waited for her love to return from The War. He never did.
15. Valiant Heart – to him, love could not be reduced to games & numbers
16. Secrets of the Heart – Soul Mates (this photo is my paternal grandmother)
‘The face is the mirror of the mind and the eyes, without speaking, confess the secrets of the heart.’
17. Ticking Heart – She didn’t have time to wait for love, her body clock was ticking.
18. Venetian Heart – the home of her heart
19. Weathered Heart – comes with age