Never Dull


Hmmmm……I think that could adequately describe my life, but in fact I am talking about the next lesson I am doing in my on line workshop.  This week we are using a product called Nev’r Dull which is a polishing compound of sorts in the USA.  There have been a couple of people allergic & a few people not able to find it, so I have done some experimenting today.Chemicalreactions The idea was to ‘loosen’ the toner from commercial magazine prints to create a background that had been altered by the movement of the ink.  The first thing was to create a ‘resist’ (I think we have WELL covered that one! LOL!!) with glue, once the glue was dry, you then use the chemical or oil or polish over it to ‘alter’ the background.  Original_page_green_web_2The Original_page_web_2two I liked the best were Seasol (which is a seaweed fertilizer…..YES it stinks) and the fine steel wool.   This is cabinet maker’s steel wool, so it is really fine.  I didn’t have any standard type steel wool, that would probably give a more ‘scratchy’ look. The Seasol gave it an antiqued, inked look….overall some interesting results.  The pics below are the pages before I cut them up into ATC’s.  In short, they all seemed to ‘dull’ or ‘illiminate’ the background colour by bluring it. The ones that worked the best were ‘less wet’ ie a concentrate rather than a spray. 


3 responses »

  1. These are wonderful! Nevr Dull is one of my very favorite techniques. I took a class last year at Art Unraveled taught by Gail Russakof (pictures of my completed pieces are on my blog—orange mosaic squares). I like to remove all of the layers of ink from the magazine image with the Nevr Dull and add the color back in with Water Soluble Oil Pastels. I often change the whole color scheme to suit my mood! Keep creating. You are very talented.

  2. Hi Keron,
    I managed to find a tin of Nev’r Dull from K-Mart a few years ago when this technique first appeared in Claudine Hellmuth’s book. But there is an alternative product that is exactly the same available from Big W, it’s called Brite Shine, a yellow tin, around $10, in the automotive Department. It’s like the old fashioned Duraglit that was available a few years ago.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s